Once children have completed Read Write Inc, we use Steps to Read. This provides a clear teaching sequence to reading sessions that explicitly teach reading skills and strategies in a cumulative way through evidence based approaches.
Steps to Read:
- Is sequenced, coherent and progressive
- Uses language-rich texts for vocabulary teaching
- Includes all elements of comprehension, taught sequentially across an academic year
- Has a clear focus on the skills and strategies needed to be a proficient and confident reader
- Uses engaging texts to promote a life-long love of reading
- Includes poetry, non-fiction and fiction that enhances knowledge learning across the curriculum